Friday, October 14, 2011

An evening out

It had been a long time since I had ventured out for any kind of entertainment but recently I was tempted to buy a ticket to a guitar performance.


Black curtains hung at the back and the sides of the stage. A low chair in the center was flanked by two microphones and two speakers. That was it. After brief introductory remarks by a spokesman for the organizers, a short man with black curly hair walked out carrying a guitar. He wore a black shirt and pants.


His name: Alfredo Muro.


There were no special effects. No sheet music. Just a man and a guitar in the spotlight.


Dazzling.
Astounding.
Transporting.


No one in the audience coughed. We were all mesmerized.


I don’t know what I had expected. Perhaps a nice, lovely interlude in my routine, some pleasant, harmless strumming. Instead I heard a diversity of sounds beyond anything I could have imagined one guitar could produce. Two hours was barely enough.


Sometimes I make the right decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment