Saturday, September 18, 2010

Enough!

Americans seemed to be obsessed by violence. [Maybe it is as American as apple pie.] Rare are movies and television shows without explosions, gunshots, chase scenes, car crashes, blood, gore and the general abuse of one or more human beings by one or more other human beings.

Enough!

I often use PBS as a refuge and was appalled [perhaps I was just having an oversensitive day] when my local public station proudly promoted an opportunity for me to see World War II in color. [Why would that be so much better than black and white? Would the blood stand out more?]

Enough!

It’s not just physical violence, it’s verbal violence -- the endless epithets and acrimony shouted into media microphones. The name calling, the obdurate stands.

Enough!

Like Jon Stewart, I think, “shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat.” And “feel that the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard” and I believe “that the only time it's appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler."

There’s a lot to be said – quietly -- for courtesy, reasonableness, respect, and rationality.

The 24-hour media seems to have helped create a nation divided against itself … and I can’t stand it any longer.

I’m seriously thinking of being in Washington, D.C. on October 30, 2010 to participate in the Daily Show's “Rally to Restore Sanity.”

Perhaps you’d like to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment